Understanding how different venture capital funds operate is unnecessarily difficult for founders. We know because we've been on the other side and had to ask the same questions. In an effort to be more transparent and open, we're sharing qualitative and quantitative data about how we invest, operate, and hold ourselves accountable.
- Golden Ventures is a seed-stage and sector-agnostic venture capital fund
- We are headquartered in Toronto and invest throughout North America
- We are currently investing out of Fund IV, a $100M USD Fund
- We are targeting 20-25 core investments out of our current fund
- A portion of the fund is allocated towards angel investments in companies that may not meet our core investment criteria but where we have a strong belief in the founders and the opportunity.
- We target initial commitments of $500K - $2M for between 7-15% of a company, and we reserve capital to follow on into companies based on progress.
- We are comfortable leading, co-leading, or participating in rounds
- Get to know us:
- We are motivated to move quickly and maintain transparency during the pre-investment process
- How we promote DE&I internally and externally
- Our DE&I Data
- To support our portfolio companies, we focus on the initiatives we believe have the greatest overall impact: talent, down-stream capital, and support with company building
Fund Overview and Strategy
Number of Deals by Financing Stage
Investments by Sector
Investments by Business Model
Investments by Geography
Golden Ventures Role at Time of Investment
Company Revenue at the time of financing
Sources of Investments (Fund IV)
Additional Capital Follow-On Rate for Golden Ventures Portfolio vs. Industry average
Some of our current institutional partners include:
Working With Us
Our typical investment process & timelines
- Relevant experience and/or unique industry insights
- Evident customer development
- A strong connection to the problem
- Great product instincts
- History of working together
- Demonstrated commitment to the company
- Are team members in the right roles
- Fair equity split between team members (fair equity doesn't necessarily mean equal split)
- Displays alignment on vision, exit potential and roles over time
- Team is attracted to the hard stuff about the business
- Have had tough/difficult conversations with each other and reached resolution
- Low/medium overlap between founder skillset
- Team exhibits ability to test and then iterate quickly
- Thoughtful, yet scrappy in their approaches and allocation of resources
- Capable of recruiting world-class talent (or willing to invest to learn how)
- Understand the importance of talent and recruitment functions, processes and investment
- Understand the importance of DE&I and why it's needed to scale
- Knows how to place appropriate value on great talent
We are extremely thoughtful in determining which investor engages, diligences and ultimately works with companies. The internal decision is made based on the below three factors, however, we are always open to your thoughts and feedback about potential fit.
- Domain Expertise
- Relevant Network
- Connection With The Founder
We encourage founders to speak up if they feel a specific person would be a great fit for them.
We understand that founders and their teams are the driving force behind the transformational companies we have the privilege to partner with. We spend a lot of time thinking about how best to support our portfolio, and have developed programs with that in mind.
To learn more about our platform, take a look at our Post-Investment page.